Mom's Baked Macaroni and CheeseUser Submitted Recipe
Mom's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
1 lb. rigatoni
1 lb. extra sharp NY Cheddar cheese, grated (freeze before grating in the food processor)
1 quart milk plus one extra cup
7 Tbsp Wondra or flour
1 stick of butter or margarine plus a few Tbsps for garnishing before cooking
Salt and pepper to taste
One cup panko crumbs
1. White Sauce: melt butter or margarine in large saucepan
2. Add flour or Wondra slowly while stirring to form paste
3. Add milk gradually while stirring to avoid lumps
4. Add salt and pepper to taste (not much salt is necessary)
5. Stir over medium heat constantly until a slow boil and thickening (takes about 20 minutes or longer)
6. If you do this too fast or don’t stir, it will stick and burn in the pot
7. Remove from heat and let cool a bit
8. Cook and drain pasta
9. Grate cheese in food processor while pasta is cooking (pre chilling the cheese in the freezer makes grating easy)
10. Add cheese (reserving about a cup for the top) to white sauce; stir to mix and melt
11. Put pasta into large baking pan. If pasta is done before the sauce, just moisten with a little margarine or butter
12. Pour white sauce with cheese into pan over pasta; mix to get sauce into pasta tubes
13. Melt a few tablespoons of butter or margarine in a frying pan. Add a cup of panko bread crumbs to brown. Sprinkle over pasta/cheese sauce mixture.
14. Sprinkle remaining grated cheese on top and bake in preheated oven @ 350 for 1 hour or until sizzling sound.
15. Call the cardiologist and take extra fish oil pills!