Turkey roast with parsley and lemon stuffingUser Submitted Recipe
Prepartion time: More than one Hour"
1 turkey, approx 4-4.5kg
1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp for the baking dish
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp each of ground black pepper and sea salt
1 knob butter, melted
1 baking dish, between 3-6cm high, to fit the turkey snugly or with a little room
A few toothpicks
10-15cm piece of non-waxed string
1 sheet of baking paper and 2 sheets of foil,
long enough to cover the tray and bird
250g white bread, approximately 10 slices, crusts removed, roughly chopped
4 stalks of fresh parsley, leaves only, roughly shredded
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp each of ground black pepper and sea salt
2 tbsp corn flour (or plain flour)
1 cup warm water or room temperature white wine
Pinch each of salt and pepper
preparing the turkey:
1. Take the turkey out of the fridge, remove neck and giblets and clean well, especially on the inside.
2. Pat dry with paper towel, place on a clean plate and let the bird come to room temperature while you make your stuffing. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (190 if using a fan-forced oven).
preparing the stuffing:
1. Place the bread, parsley, eggs, oil, lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well with your hands.
2. Stuff the cavity of the turkey with the prepared stuffing.
method for the turkey:
3. Once the turkey has been stuffed, use two or three toothpicks to secure the opening so that the stuffing stays put during cooking.
4. Tie the legs together around the ends (keeps the meat around the thigh moist).
5. Drizzle approx 1tsp of oil on the base of the baking dish.
6. Place the bird in the dish, tucking the wings under (so they don't dry out during cooking).
7. Slowly drizzle 1tbsp of oil onto the turkey, using a pastry brush to coat evenly. Likewise, drizzle the lemon juice. Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the turkey and rub into the skin with your fingers.
8. Cover the bird with baking paper and then foil (these can be gently tucked in between the bird and the side of the dish).
9. Cook turkey for approx 2.5 hours. Baste the top of the turkey every 30 minutes to ensure it remains moist. The first time you baste it there won't be any juices in the bottom of the dish, so have some melted butter ready to brush on top. After that you can use a baster or a brush to ensure the top of the turkey is moistened with juices from the bottom. Try to baste as quickly as possible, you don't want the turkey to cool while it's out of the oven. Cover with the paper and foil each time except for the last 30 minutes, this will give the turkey a nice golden colour.
10. Test the thickest part of the breast with a skewer to see if it is done, the juices should run clear. If you are unsure about this, hold a teaspoon under the juices that flow from the point that you have pricked, pushing the skewer well into the meat, then you can see whether there is any pinkness to the juices or not. If there is some pink in the juices, then put the turkey back in the oven for a further 10 minutes and check again. Repeat process again if still pink. Turkey should not need longer than 3 hours in total, unless it's larger than 4.5kg.
11. Place cooked turkey on a carving tray and cover with foil. Let the bird rest for 20 minutes. This is important, being a large roast the juices need to redistribute.
method for the gravy:
1. Place the roasting tray on an element on medium heat. Be very careful as the dish will be hot.
2. Add 2 tbsp of cornflour and stir well into the juices with a fork, making sure you scrape all the delicious turkey bits off the bottom.
3. Add the water or wine and stir well.
4. Let the gravy slowly reduce to half of its quantity. While it bubbles away, fat will rise to the surface and look like skin, skim this off a few times during cooking, about 15 minutes in total.
5. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, serve in a pouring jug.
method for the stuffing:
3. Scoop the stuffing out of the bird and serve with the turkey pieces.
method for the turkey:
12. Uncover the turkey and carve. First carve the legs, then the wings, breast meat and the other parts. Serve immediately.