Pomegranate Persimmon Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
FOR THE SALAD:
¼ cups Pecan Halves
½ whole Pomegranate
6 cups Spring Mix, Or Lettuce Of Choice
⅔ cups Red Onion, Sliced
1 Small Avocado, Peeled, Pitted And Sliced
2 Small Persimmons
⅓ cups Low Fat Or Fat Free Feta Cheese
1 Cooked And Chopped Large Chicken Breast
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
¼ cups Pomegranate Juice
1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Honey
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 pinch Salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the pecans on the prepared baking sheet and toast until brown and toasty smelling (you’ll be able to tell). This will take about 8-10 minutes, but watch carefully so they do not burn.
3. While the nuts toast, it’s time to tackle the pomegranate.
4. Place a large knife just to the right or left of the bump on the top and slice straight down, cutting the pomegranate in half. Note: Cut it on a plastic cutting board so that the juice does not stain a nice, wooden one.
5. Now, cut each half in half again, leaving you with quarters.
6. Take one quarter at a time and invert it over a large bowl and scrape out as many of the seeds as possible. Do this twice, using half of the pomegranate. Use the other half for something else. Once finished, turn it right side up and get out the remaining seeds. Drain the juice into a small bowl and set aside for later.
7. Now, fill the bowl with cold water until there is about ¾ of an inch above the pomegranate seeds. This will allow all the extra little skin bits to float to the top and you can easily remove them with your fingers or a spoon.
8. Do this process another time or two, until all the bits are removed. Drain and set aside.
9. Add the spring mix into a large mixing bowl.
10. Slice the red onion and avocado and add it to the spring mix.
11. Take the persimmons and slice them in half. Remove the leafy part and the hard, inner core. Slice each half again, and then each quarter into 4-5 slices. Add the slices into the spring mix.
12. Add in the feta cheese and chopped chicken.
13. Finally add in the pomegranate arils and stir until everything is well combined. Set aside while you whip up the vinaigrette.
14. For the vinaigrette:
15. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients until well mixed.
16. Pour the vinaigrette into the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
17. Divide the salad evenly between two plates and eat!
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!