Green Tea Ice Cream with Green Tea Marshmallows
Decadent and Light
Green Tea Ice Cream:
1/2 tsp Matcha Tea
3 fl oz Whole Milk
1/2 pint Heavy Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp & 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar, separated
3 Egg Yolks
Green Tea Marshmallow:
5 Tbsp Water, cold
1 packet Unflavored Gelatin
1/4 tsp Matcha Tea
1/6 Cup Water, hot
1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 fl oz Light Corn Syrup
Pinch Kosher Salt
1 large Egg White
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Make Ice Cream:
(Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for preparing machine for use—may require freezing bowl overnight.)
1. Combine matcha tea, milk, heavy cream, vanilla, and one tablespoon of sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir with wooden spoon on medium heat to dissolve as much of tea as possible.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, being sure to not let it overflow. Remove from heat just when it comes to a boil.
3. In a metal bowl whisk egg yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar until smooth and pale yellow, at least 1 full minute.
4. Temper eggs with one-third cream mixture, adding a little at a time. After about 1/3 has been whisked in, pour warmed egg mixture back into cream mixture in saucepan off stovetop.
5. Prepare an ice bath in a large metal bowl and put in freezer until needed.
6. Return saucepan to medium heat, stirring constantly until nappe, thick enough to just coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat when temperature reaches 180°F to 182°F, usually 15 minutes or more.
7. Remove ice bath from freezer. Strain ice cream base through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl set in the ice bath. Stir with spatula to cool ice cream base completely.
8. Turn on ice cream machine and pour in ice cream base. Let churn until desired consistency.
9. Add marshmallow while ice cream is churning.
Make Green Tea Marshmallow
1. Pour cold water in a medium bowl. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over it. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Combine matcha tea and hot water in a medium saucepan. Stir and dissolve tea as completely as possible.
3. Stir in sugar, corn syrup, and salt until sugar is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
4. Pour hot syrup into gelatin and stir to dissolve.
5. In a clean, dry metal mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Pour syrup into whites in a thin, steady stream while mixer is running on low speed.
6. When all syrup is incorporated, turn mixer speed to high and beat until very thick, about 12 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula, as needed, if marshmallow rises up sides.
7. Add vanilla extract and beat just to incorporate.
8. Add marshmallow mixture all at once to churning ice cream in machine by large spoonfuls. Churn until all marshmallow is incorporated.
10. Remove ice cream to prepared, chilled container. Freeze at least 3 hours or overnight before serving.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!