Steamed Pork BunsCuisinart Original Recipe
1 recipe Asian-Style Pork Ribs, cooled (see website for recipe)
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 1⁄3 cups warm water (105–110°F), divided
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Remove meat from ribs and shred well. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. If desired, reserve any juices from the ribs after baking to moisten meat before filling.
2. Mix yeast with a pinch of the sugar and stir into 1⁄3 cup of the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy.
3. In a large stainless steel bowl combine the flour, remaining sugar and the baking soda. Stir to mix and make a small well in the center.
4. Add the remaining water to the yeast mixture and slowly pour it into the flour, using one hand to pour while the other mixes the dough. If the dough appears too wet, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough starts to come together. Add the oil and use your hands to work the dough until well combined.
5. Transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball and cover with a dampened kitchen towel. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
6. Meanwhile, line the baking pan with a piece of parchment and take pork out of the refrigerator. Lay a large piece of wax paper on the counter where you will be filling the buns.
7. Lightly flour the work surface and roll the dough into a log, about 16 inches long. Cut the log into 16 equal pieces, about 2 ounces each.
8. Working with one piece of dough at a time and keeping the rest covered with the damp towel, roll each piece of dough into a very flat round, about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Fill each dough in the center with 2 heaping tablespoons of the shredded pork. It may seem like a lot but the dough will stretch as you pull it around the filling. Gather the dough up and around the filling by pleating along the edges. Pinch the pleats together, making a little neck on the bun, and twist firmly to seal.
9. Put the bun on the wax paper and cover with another damp towel. Repeat with remaining dough and filling until all buns have been made.
10. Put half of the buns on the baking tray, keeping the remaining 8 covered. Put the tray in the oven with the rack in the middle rack position and set to Steam at 210 °F for 30 minutes, until dough is cooked through. Remove the buns and re-line the tray with new parchment and repeat with remaining buns.
11. Serve immediately.
ServingsMakes 16 buns
Nutritional information per bun:
Calories 392 (41% from fat) • carb. 40g • pro. 20g
• fat 18g • sat. fat 5g • chol. 59mg • sod. 786mg
• calc. 28mg • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Combo Steam + Convection Oven