Red Chile Pork (with Red Chile Sauce)Cuisinart Original Recipe
3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Red Chile Sauce
Makes about 2 cups
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup red chile powder (preferably New Mexican style)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1 recipe roasted tomatoes (see website for recipe)
1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
2 tablespoons honey
1 bay leaf
1. Cut the shoulder into large chunks; and place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Put the remaining ingredients together and then rub over the meat. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator overnight to marinate.
3. Transfer the meat, with the spices, to the baking tray and put in the oven with the rack in the lower rack position. Set to Bake Steam at 350°F for 75 minutes when time expires, reset to 225°F for an additional 45 minutes on Bake Steam.
4. Allow pork to rest in oven until cool enough to handle. Remove the baking tray carefully to avoid spilling any of the braising liquid.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf, cinnamon stick and garlic . Using your hands (wearing gloves is recommended!), shred pork into bite-size pieces . This can now be used as a filling for tamales (see website for recipe), tacos, burritos or served over rice with vegetables. Pair with our Red Chile Sauce (instructions follow) for extra flavor.
Note: If using as filling for tamales we recommend mixing in 1 cup of red chile sauce to the shredded pork.
Red Chile Sauce:
1. Put oil into a medium sauté pan set over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic. Sauté until soft, and then add the chile powder and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Add the tomatoes and stir with a wooden spoon to break them down and fully combine all ingredients.
2. Once cooked down a bit, add the broth, honey and bay leaf. Raise the temperature to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, maintaining the simmer, for 1 hour. Makes about 2 cups of sauce.
ServingsMakes about 12 servings
Nutritional information per serving (2 tablespoons): Calories 27 (37% from fat) • carb. 4g • pro. 1g
• fat 1g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 0mg • sod. 84mg
• calc. 10mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Combo Steam + Convection Oven