Slow Cooker Red GravyUser Submitted Recipe
Hearty Tomato, Pepper, and Sausage Sauce for Pasta
2 Large Yellow Onions; Chopped
2 Red Bell Peppers; Chopped
8 oz. Sliced Mushrooms
6 Cloves Garlic; Finely Chopped
28 oz. Canned Diced Tomatoes
30 oz. Canned Tomato Sauce
6 oz. Tomato Paste
1 lb. Sausage
1 Tbs. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbs. Dried Basil
1 Tbs. Dried Oregano
1 1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 Cup Italian Parsley; Chopped
2 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Spray inside of 5 Qt. Slow Cooker with cooking spray.
2. Add butter and olive oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat.
3. Saute onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms for 8 min.
4. Add chopped garlic to pan and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Transfer sauteed vegetables to slow cooker vessel.
6. With the exception of the chopped Italian parsley and sausage, add remaining ingredients to slow cooker vessel.
7. Cook on Low for 8 hours.
8. While sauce is cooking, roll raw sausage by hand into several (12 - 16) balls; keep refrigerated.
9. After 6 hours of cooking, add sausage to slow cooker, stir, and continue cooking on low for the additional 2 hours.
10. Stir in chopped fresh parsley; serve over cooked pasta (of any shape) and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Servings10 to 12
Approximately 448 Calories; 17g Fat (33.1% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 1291mg Sodium.
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!