Paella (for the MSC-600)Cuisinart Original Recipe
This version of the traditional Spanish dish is sure to please any crowd."
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds) cut into 8 pieces
1¾ teaspoons sea or kosher salt, divided
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
9 ounces Spanish chorizo (3 links) cut into ¼-inch slices
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 sprig fresh oregano
1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
2½ cups Bomba rice*
6 cups hot chicken broth, low sodium
large pinch saffron
1 pound shrimp, rinsed, peeled and deveined
12 littleneck clams
½ cup chopped Italian parsley
½ cup fresh or frozen (do not need to thaw) peas
1½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
lemon wedges for serving
1. Put the oil in the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 400°F.
2. While unit is heating, season the chicken parts on both sides with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Once unit is hot, brown the chicken, skin side down first, about 5 minutes for each side. Remove and reserve. Add the chorizo and brown on both sides.
3. Once chorizo has browned, reduce the temperature to 350°F and add the garlic
and onion with the paprika, oregano and
¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, about 2 to
4. Put the tomatoes into the cooking pot with the sautéed vegetables. Increase the temperature to 400°F. Cook the tomatoes until reduced and slightly caramelized, about 7 to 8 minutes. Be sure to stir the tomatoes occasionally to prevent burning.
5. Add the rice to the unit and stir to coat with tomato mixture. Add the hot broth and saffron and stir together well. Cover and reduce the temperature to 325°F. Allow rice to simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the chicken pieces to the cooking pot by nestling them in the rice; simmer, covered for an additional 15 minutes.
7. While chicken is simmering, season shrimp with remaining salt and pepper. Add to unit with the clams and simmer, covered, for an additional 8 minutes, until clamshells have opened.
8. Stir in the parsley, peas and lemon juice.
9. Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side.
*Bomba Rice is a Spanish style rice specific for paella. It can be found in specialty or gourmet stores, or possibly in the international section of many large grocery stores. If you cannot find it, Arborio rice can be used in its place.
ServingsMakes 8 to 10 servings
Nutritional information per serving
(based on 10 servings):
Calories 658 (32% from fat) • carb. 45g • pro. 63g
• fat 23g • sat. fat 7g • chol. 208mg • sod. 1943mg
• calc. 87mg • fiber 2g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
3-in-1 Cook Central®