Osso BucoCuisinart Original Recipe
6 veal shanks (about 4 to 5 pounds total), about 1¼ inches thick, 3 to 3½ inches in diameter, tied with butcher’s twine (Reduce to 4 shanks, about 2 pounds total, if using the MSC-400 model)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided (reduce to 3/4 teaspoon for MSC-400 model)
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled (reduce to 4 cloves for MSC-400 model)
1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (reduce to 1 small onion for the MSC-400 model)
1 large leek, root end trimmed, white and light green parts only, washed well, cut into 1-inch pieces (reduce to 1 small leek for the MSC-400 model)
2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (reduce to 1 small carrot for the MSC-400 model)
1 celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 fresh rosemary sprigs (reduce to 1 sprig for the MSC-400 model)
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/3 cup dry white wine (reduce to 1/4 cup for MSC-400 model)
2 cans (28 ounces each) plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped (reduce to 1 can for the MSC-400 model)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley (reduce to 2 tablespoons for the MSC-400 model)
1. Season the shanks on all sides with 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of salt and all of the pepper.
2. Put the oil into the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 400°F. Add shanks and brown on both sides, at least 6 to 10 minutes per side, until deeply browned. Reserve.
3. While meat is browning, put the garlic into the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade; process to finely chop. Scrape down and add the onion, leek, carrot, and celery. Pulse 8 to 10 times, until vegetables are roughly chopped. Remove vegetables and reserve. Add the drained tomatoes to the food processor and pulse 5 times to chop. Set aside.
4. Reduce the heat to 350ºF and add the butter to the pot; once melted, add vegetables, garlic, rosemary and thyme and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cook until vegetables are softened and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Simmer until wine is completely reduced.
4. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaf. Nestle shanks in the liquid. Liquid should come halfway up the meat. Switch unit to Slow Cook on Low for 8 hours.
5. When unit switches to Keep Warm, degrease the top of the liquid either with a ladle or by blotting with a fat mop or paper towel.
6. To serve, stir in parsley; adjust seasoning.
ServingsMakes about 6 to 8 servings (for MSC-600); Makes about 4 servings (for MSC-400)
Nutritional information per serving
(based on 8 servings):
Calories 440 (43% from fat) • carb. 15g • pro. 60g
• fat 13g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 229mg • sod. 964mg
• calc. 123mg • fiber 3g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!