Guinness Braised Short RibsCuisinart Original Recipe
A perfect, comforting dish for a cold winter evening."
10 beef short ribs (about 3 pounds total); (reduce to 2 pounds for MSC-400 model)
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 leek, root end trimmed, white parts only, washed well and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
¾ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
12 ounces Guinness beer (one standard bottle)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (reduce to 1 tablespoon for MSC-400 model)
4 fresh Italian parsley sprigs, chopped
water, if necessary
1. Season the beef well on all sides with ½ teaspoon of the salt, and all the pepper.
2. Put the oil into the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 400°F. Once hot, add the short ribs (may need to cook in two batches). Cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until very nicely browned. Remove and reserve (repeat with remaining if necessary). Carefully wipe up most fat, leaving only about 2 teaspoons behind.
3. Add the vegetables, garlic, thyme and remaining salt to the pot and reduce the temperature to 375°F. Cook until onion is translucent and vegetables are slightly softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the Guinness and simmer to reduce slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Nestle the ribs and any accumulated liquid into the vegetables. Be sure liquid comes halfway up the ribs (if it does not, add enough water to reach to that point).
4. Cover and switch unit to Slow Cook on Low for 10 hours.
5. When unit switches to Keep Warm, it is recommended to degrease the pot before serving. Either remove grease with a ladle
or blot with a fat mop or paper towel.
6. Once ready to serve, stir in the chopped parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
ServingsMakes 6 to 8 servings (for MSC-600); Makes 4 servings (for MSC-400)
Nutritional information per serving
(based on 8 servings):
Calories 707 (80% from fat) • carb. 6g • pro. 4g
• fat 63g • sat. fat 27g • chol. 129mg • sod. 406mg
• calc. 35mg • fiber 1g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!