Polenta LasagnaUser Submitted Recipe
1 medium onion (julienne cut)
2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 small carton of baby portabella mushrooms (sliced or quartered)
1 medium zucchini (sliced)
1 medium yellow squash (sliced)
5-6 stalks Swiss chard (leafy green top only, chopped)
3 cups spinach
1 package textured vegetable protein (for meat-like consistency)
1 jar marinara sauce or homemade sauce
Grated parmesan cheese
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tubes polenta
1. In one medium sized skillet, add chopped Swiss chard and 1/3 cup of water. Simmer on low to medium heat until leafy greens become tender and wilted.
2. In separate large sized skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash and saute on low to medium heat until vegetables are tender.
3. Add spinach leaves and wilted Swiss chard to vegetable mixture. Simmer until spinach has wilted. Add textured vegetable protein.
4. Add marinara to large pot with vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Simmer on low for 20 minutes (the longer the better for more flavor).
6. Form polenta into two separate 9x13 inch flat pieces. Bake each at 350 degrees until slightly crispy.
7. Add 1/2 cup sauce to bottom of 9x13in pan. Add one piece/layer of polenta. Add sauce, ricotta and mozzarella cheese. Add last piece of polenta and top with remaining sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella.
8. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and cheese is melted.