Fish SticksCuisinart Original Recipe
Crushed tortilla chips make crisp fish sticks, which are perfect in fish tacos, but for a more traditional coating, use plain breadcrumbs."
3 cups tortilla chips
½ pound white fish, like lemon sole or cod
juice of 1 lemon or lime, for seasoning
kosher salt, for seasoning
freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour, mixed with a pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- Insert the chopping blade into the work bowl of the food processor. Add the tortilla chips and pulse about 5 times to break up, and then process to finely chop, about 20 to 30 seconds. Remove and reserve in a shallow baking dish.
- Cut the fish into 4x1-inch “sticks.” Season on all sides with the citrus juice, salt and pepper.
- Put the flour and egg into separate shallow bowls or baking dishes.
- First lightly coat the fish in the flour, then in the egg and then in the ground chips. Set on a clean platter. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook fish, putting no more than 5 pieces into the pan at one time, until golden brown and crisp. Remove and reserve on a cooling rack set over a paper towel-lined tray.
- Serve immediately, paired with Tartar Sauce or Rémoulade (see cuisinart.com for recipe).
Note: These fish sticks also make delicious fish tacos! Prepare as is, and then put in warmed soft tortillas, topped with a cabbage slaw and a squeeze of lime juice. To prepare slaw: mix together 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro with 1 cup of shredded green cabbage, 1⁄8 teaspoon each of kosher salt and black pepper and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
Servingsmakes about 20 fish sticks
Nutritional information per fish stick: Calories 67 (53% from fat) | carb. 5g | pro. 3g | fat 4g sat. fat 0g | chol. 14mg | sod. 39mg | calc. 10mg | fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Elemental 8 Food Processor
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!