TACOS AMERICANOSCuisinart Original Recipe
A bit spicy and full of flavor, this is a great recipe to have in your arsenal – kids especially will love assembling their own tacos."
3 ounces Monterey jack
¼ head romaine or iceberg lettuce
1 plum tomato, quartered
1 garlic clove, peeled
½ to 1 jalapeño, seeded (some peppers tend to be hotter than others, so use your own judgment/preference on how much jalapeño to use)
½ medium onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
¾ pound stew meat, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 teaspoon grapeseed or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon tomato paste
½ cup chicken broth, low sodium
12 small (3-to 5-inch) soft corn tortillas, kept warm
sour cream or plain yogurt, for serving
salsa, for serving
guacamoles, for serving
- Insert the shredding disc into the work bowl of the food processor. Shred the monterey Jack. Remove and reserve, keeping it loosely covered so it doesn't dry out.
- Flip the shredding disc to the slicing side (or switch to the slicing disc, depending on the model that you have). Slice the lettuce, remove and reserve. Slice the plum tomato into wedges. Reserve.
- Remove the slicing disc and insert the chopping blade. With the machine running, drop the garlic and jalapeño through the feed tube and finely chop. Stop the machine, scrape down the sides and add the onion. Pulse to chop, about 7 times. Scrape down the sides once more, then add the stew meat. Using long pulses, chop the meat, pausing between pulses to allow meat to drop back down before pulsing again. This will take about 10 pulses to properly chop.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat-vegetable mixture, spices and salt. Stir to combine and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add the tomato paste, and cook for about 1 minute; then add the broth, cooking until the broth has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- To assemble tacos, put about 2 tablespoons of warm taco meat in the center of each shell. Top with a bit of lettuce, tomato and cheese. garnish with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.
Servingsmakes twelve tacos (6 servings)
Nutritional information per taco: Calories 110 (57% from fat) | carb. 4g | pro. 8g | fat 7g sat. fat 3g | chol. 25mg | sod. 264mg | calc. 67mg | fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Custom 14™ Food Processor
Pro Classic™ Food Processor
Prep 9™ 9-Cup Food Processor
Prep 11 Plus™ 11-Cup Food Processor
Pro Custom 11™ Food Processor
Cuisinart Elite Collection™ 12-Cup Food Processor
Elite Collection™ 14-Cup Food Processor