JambalayaUser Submitted Recipe
1 lb. smoked sausage, medium dice 1 lb. chicken, medium dice
3 ounces smoked ham or Canadian bacon, medium dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
olive oil, as needed
1 green bell peppers, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
1 bunch green onion, diced
1 cup long grain white rice
3 T. Cajun spice (see below)
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 lb. canned tomatoes, diced
salt & pepper to taste
Salt 1 oz
Garlic powder 1 oz
White pepper 1/2 oz
Oregano, dried, ground ½ oz
Onion powder 1 oz
Black pepper 1/2 oz
Cayenne pepper 1/4 oz
Thyme, dried, ground 1/3 oz
Paprika 1/2 oz
Combine and mix well
1) In a large rondeau, sauté the sausage, chicken and ham to render their fat. Remove the meat and reserve.
2) Add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, celery and green onions to the fat and sauté. If there is not enough fat, add a small amount of olive oil.
3) As the vegetables soften, season them with a little Cajun spice mix.
4) Add the rice and toss until all the rice is coated with the fat.
5) Add the tomatoes and their liquid and stir to combine.
6) Add the stock and the reserved sausage, chicken and ham and bring to a simmer.
7) Cook at a low simmer until the rice is done, approximately 15 minutes, checking the seasoning periodically.
8) Add more Cajun spice mix, salt and pepper as necessary. There will be little to no liquid left in the pan when the rice is done.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!