Sarmale cu Varza AcraUser Submitted Recipe
Pickled Cabbage Stuffed Rolls
2 large cabbages
1 small cabbage finely sliced in length
5 slices bacon, cut in small pieces
1/4 pound salt pork (smoked preferably) cut into 2 inch slices
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 clove crushed garlic
Salt and pepper*
1/2 cup water
2 pounds raw sauerkraut, drained of juice (use the juice for filling)
2 Tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground chuck
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup ice water
1 clove crushed garlic
3 Tablespoons sauted onions
1/2 cup liquid from sauerkraut
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1. Remove and discard wilted outer leaves from cabbage.
2. Carefully core the cabbage.
3. Place it in a deep bowl
4. Pour boiling water over cabbage, to cover.
5. Let it soak while preparing the filling.
Method to make filling:
1. Use a very large, heavy pot with a tight cover.
2. Put bacon and salt pork into the pot.
3. Add onions
4. Sauté until onions just start to brown.
5. Remove 3 Tbsp of the mixture and add to the meat filling.
6. Add paprika to the remaining onions and stir well.
7. Add garlic, salt, pepper and water.
9. Simmer for 15 minutes.
10. Drain sauerkraut, reserving the juice.
11. Rinse the kraut and add to the onions, along with the caraway seeds, parsley and dill. (Optional: add 1 Tbsp pepper corns [berries])
12. Cover the pot and let the mixture simmer.
Stuff cabbage leaves and cook:
1. Place the ground pork and ground chuck into a bowl
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the sour cream
3. Mix well with your hands until very well blended and smooth.
4. Remove cabbage from hot water and gently spread it apart.
5. One by one, carefully remove the leaves. Be careful not to tear them.
6. Cut off the thick, heavy part of each leaf (level out).
7. You should have about 12-15 leaves.
8. Place approximately 2 Tablespoons of the meat filling on each leaf.
9. Tuck in the end and roll up carefully.
10. Push stuffed cabbage into the sauerkraut, put the rest of rolls on top.
11. Cover with 1 inch of fine sliced cabbage leaves and add a little more water to cover if necessary.
12. Taste. If you wish a sharper taste, add some sauerkraut juice.
13. Cook for 2 hours. This can be done in a pot on the stove and then in the oven for the last 40 minutes or you can cook it all in the oven in a large pan at 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit.
14. Add salt and pepper if needed.
15. Serve hot with sour cream over the stuffed cabbage or on the side.