Tia's Easy Firecracker Baked ChickenUser Submitted Recipe
(1) 4lb whole chicken, thawed
1 cup of water
Ingredients for Spice Rub:
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of ground cayenne pepper (Use more or less depending on your preference; less for a milder taste and more for a spicier taste. May omit if you can't handle the heat.)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Combine all ingredients for spice rub in a small bowl, mix well, and set aside.
3. Using a sharp knife or poultry scissors, butterfly chicken breast-side down the center of breast bone so that the chicken can open and inside cavity lays down on pan. Some chickens are packaged with the giblet bags, so remove before you butterfly the chicken. (Tip: A serrated bread knife works very well for this step.)
4. Rinse chicken well with water and pat dry with paper towel.
5. Underneath the skin of the chicken is a very thin membrane that connects the chicken skin to the meat. Using your fingers carefully separate the skin from the meat without tarring the skin, but leave the edges connected so that the skin stays on the chicken as it bakes for a juicy and flavorful chicken.
6. Season the chicken well by rubbing 1/3 of the spice blend all over the meat under the skin, rub 1/3 on the backside of the chicken (the inside cavity), and sprinkle the remainder 1/3 evenly all over the skin of the chicken.
7. Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the roasting pan and place chicken skin side up flat on roasting pan with the inside cavity of the chicken down. Note: As the chicken cooks, the steam from the water in the pan will help keep the chicken moist as well as help speed up the cooking.
9. Place pan on cooking rack in the middle of the oven and cook for 50 minutes. Note: no basting is required.