Kartoffenkuche (Bavarian potato pancakes)User Submitted Recipe
visit wineytomato.blogspot.com for more recipes, German and otherwise :)
Go to: http://wineytomato.blogspot.com/2010/03/german-food-part-1-apfelmus-und.html for an applesauce recipe to eat with them :)"
4-6 Russet or 6-8 Red potatoes
1 med to large onion
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for frying
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 whole egg + 1 egg white
**(if your potatoes are very large, add another egg white)**
2-3 tbsp flour
1. Peel and grate potatoes. If using a food processor, cut into eighths first.
2. Spread out a large muslin or cotton dish towel and put the potatoes in it. Pick up the four corners, then gather the edges. Twist the towel over the sink, and squeeze the potatoes as you do this. Continue twisting and squeezing until the potatoes feel very dry to touch when you open the towel.
3. Grate and squeeze the moisture out of the onion in the same way.
4. Put potatoes and onion in a large bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix well with your hands.
5. Heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Grab about 1/2 cup of potatoes and roll into a ball. Flatten ball into a patty and fry on each side until golden brown.
6. Serve with warm applesauce!
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!