Slow Cooked Lamb ShanksCuisinart Original Recipe
1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 lamb shanks (about ¾ to 1 pound each)
2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
2 small to medium onions, chopped
2 small to medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1½ teaspoons herbes de Provence
½ cup dry red wine
1 can (35-ounce) plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can (15-ounce) cannellini beans
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 400˚F. Add the olive oil.
2. Trim the lamb shanks of as much visible fat and silver skin as possible. Season them with 1 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Dust lightly with flour, shaking off excess. Once Skillet is heated and the oil is hot and shimmering, add the lamb shanks and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Remove and reserve.
3. Reduce heat to 325°F. Add the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onions, carrots, and celery; cook over low heat until vegetables are softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, remaining salt and pepper and the herbes de Provence and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the red wine, scraping any brown bits that may have accumulated on the cooking surface of the pan with a wooden spoon. Finally, stir the tomatoes, tomato paste, and white beans into Skillet.
4. Reduce heat to 250°F and nestle the bay leaf and browned lamb shanks into the vegetable/bean mixture. Simmer for 4 to 5 hours so that meat is completely tender and falling off the bone.
5. Remove lamb shanks and degrease as necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Serve one lamb shank per person, or remove the meat from the bones and serve up to 6 diners.
Servingsno serving information available
Nutritional information per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories 697 (52% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 54g • fat 39g • sat. fat 17g • chol. 189mg • sod. 1342mg • calc. 133mg • fiber 5g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet