Turkey Meatballs with Rustic Tomato SauceCuisinart Original Recipe
½ pound uncooked turkey sausages, casings removed
1 pound ground turkey
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
²∕³ cup chopped onion
²∕³ cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup grated Parmesan
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
¹∕³ cup chopped carrot
¹∕³ cup chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 bay leaf
½ cup white vermouth or dry white wine
3 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes, with juices
2 tablespoons tomato paste
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, add the sausage and stir to break up the meat. Add the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Shape into 1½-inch round meatballs.
2. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 300˚F. Add the olive oil and spread with the back of a spoon to evenly coat the cooking surface; add meatballs. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, turning every few minutes or so until all sides are nicely browned. Remove from pan and set aside while making tomato sauce.
3. Prepare tomato sauce. Reduce temperature of Skillet to 275°F. Add the olive oil and stir to coat the cooking surface.
4. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add oregano, basil and bay leaf; stir for 30 seconds. Add vermouth or wine and stir until reduced by about half. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
5. Cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly.
6. When ready to serve, add the meatballs to the simmering tomato sauce; cook until completely heated through.
7. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Servingsno serving information available
Nutritional information per serving (based on 1 meatball with about 1 tablespoon of sauce): Calories 53 (47% from fat) • carb. 3g • pro. 4g • fat 3g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 22mg • sod. 163mg • calc. 25mg • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet