PaellaCuisinart Original Recipe
This version of the traditional Spanish dish is sure to please any crowd.
1 whole chicken, approximately 4 pounds, cut into 10 pieces
1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 chorizo, about 9 ounces, cut into ½-inch slices
5 garlic cloves
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 can (28-ounce) plum tomatoes, well drained
2½ cups Arborio rice
5 cups hot chicken broth, reduced-sodium
large pinch saffron
1 pound shrimp, rinsed, peeled and deveined
12 littleneck clams
½ cup chopped parsley
½ cup fresh or frozen peas
1 half lemon
lemon wedges for serving
1. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 400°F.
2. Season the chicken parts on both sides with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Add the olive oil to the Skillet and brown chicken, skin side down first, about 4 minutes for each side. Remove and reserve. Add the chorizo and brown on both sides.
3. While chicken and chorizo are browning, insert the large metal chopping blade into a Cuisinart® Food Processor. With the unit running, drop the garlic cloves down the small feed tube to chop. Add the onion to the work bowl and pulse to chop, about 8 to 10 one-second pulses.
4. Once chorizo has browned, reduce the temperature of the Skillet to 350°F and add the garlic and onion with the paprika, oregano and ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté until vegetables are softened and lightly browned.
5. While onion and garlic are cooking, add the drained tomatoes to the food processor and pulse to roughly chop. Add to Skillet and increase the heat to 400°F. Cook the tomatoes until reduced and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir the tomatoes occasionally to prevent burning.
6. Add the rice to the Skillet and stir to coat with tomato mixture. Add the hot broth and saffron and stir together well. Cover Skillet and turn the temperature down to 350°F. Simmer rice for 10 minutes.
7. Once the 10 minutes have elapsed, add the chicken pieces to the Skillet by nestling them in the rice; simmer, covered, for an additional 15 minutes.
8. While chicken is simmering, season shrimp with remaining salt and pepper. Add to Skillet with the clams and simmer, covered, for an additional 12 minutes, until clamshells have opened.
9. Stir in the parsley, peas, and juice of ½ lemon.
10. Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side.
Servingsno serving information available
Calories 505 (36% from fat) • carb. 41g • pro. 38g • fat 20g • sat. fat 6g • chol. 150mg • sod. 980mg • calc. 77mg • fiber 2g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet