Five-Spice Tofu and Vegetable Stir-FryCuisinart Original Recipe
A vegetarian-friendly dinner that even the meat eaters will love.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained well, dried and cut into ½-inch dice
1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
1 small red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch slices
1 cup sliced mushrooms (about 2 ounces)
1 small onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
6 ounces fresh spinach leaves, stems removed and roughly chopped
1 cup chicken broth, reduced-sodium
1½ tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 pinches red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 400˚F. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil.
2. Once oil is hot and shimmering, pan-fry tofu until browned on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and reserve.
3. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the Skillet. Add the broccoli and pepper. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until broccoli is slightly browned and pepper is softened. Add the mushrooms and onion. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until onion is golden and softened.
4. Add the garlic, ginger and five-spice powder. Stir to fully coat and cook for about 2 minutes. Once the mixture is fragrant, add the spinach and stir to combine. Reduce heat to 300°F, cover and let cook until bright and just wilted, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
5. Stir sauce ingredients together in a liquid measuring cup. Pour sauce into pan and let simmer for about 1 minute.
6. Turn unit off. Add the sesame oil and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
7. Serve in shallow bowls with jasmine rice.
Servingsno serving information available
Nutritional information per serving (½ cup): Calories 109 (49% from fat) • carb. 9g • pro. 6g • fat 6g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 0mg • sod. 331mg • calc. 66mg • fiber 2g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet