Asian braised chicken breast with vegetablesUser Submitted Recipe
2 chicken breast
4 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, or a mix of both)
2 carrots, sliced
4 scallions, sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
10 spears asparagus, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1/4 onion, diced
1/2 can of sliced water chestnuts - about 1/4 cup, cut into quarters
1/2 can baby corn, piece cut in half
1 to 2 tbs each fresh grated ginger and garlic
2 tbs of soy sauce
chili paste, to taste
*note* - Use a very low sodium stock because when the flavors condense, everything gets salty on its own. Also, these vegetable amounts are approximate, and you can obviously add anything else you want.
1. Pat the chicken breast dry and season with salt and pepper. With the pan on medium-high heat (add oil too), sear the chicken on both sides until brown, but not cooked through. Remove the chicken and cover.
2. Lower the heat a bit and add the onions, scallions, and ginger and garlic, sautee for a couple of minutes until soft. Add the carrots, asparagus, and mushrooms.
3. After a few minutes, pour the soy sauce in and add the chili sauce. Add the water chestnuts (surprisingly, even if you add them now, they will not lose their crispness).
4. Add the stock, stir well, cover, and let the mixture simmer for 30 min. Come back and stir every 5 or 10 minutes. It’ll be quite reduced by the end. (note - the stock needs to be enough to come about halfway up the side of the chicken. Add more if needed.)
5. Take the stock off the heat and let the stock stop bubbling. Add the baby corn. Move some vegetables around and add the chicken breast in the middle of the pan, such that it can actually touch the pan. Scoop some of the vegetables onto the top of the chicken. Put the pan back onto the heat, cover, and *simmer* (just a few bubbles rising every few seconds - you do not want to boil this. Braising requires cooking slowly). Simmer for about 20 minutes.
6. To serve: make a big pile of rice in the middle of a large bowl. Scoop the vegetables on top. Cut the chicken into eatable pieces and place on top of the pile. Pour the remaining broth on top of the rice.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!