Stuffed CabbageUser Submitted Recipe
4 pounds of Savoy cabbage
3 pounds of meatloaf mix (1/3 ground beef; 1/3 ground pork; 1/3 ground veal)
2 large onions, chopped
1 cup of white rice (uncooked)
2 tablespoons of garlic salt
4 cans of tomato soup
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 ¼ stick of margarine
1. Core each Savoy cabbage head and place into boiling water
2. Watch the leaves since you do not want them to overcook. They should be pliable enough to roll and yet tender to eat. If the spine on the cabbage leave makes it difficult to roll, just trim off a light part of the spine.
3. As the leaves are cooked, cut them off of the heads and place them on a large plate to cool
4. Sautee the chopped onion, garlic salt and ¼ stick of margarine in a separate frying pan. Use more margarine, if needed. Cook until the onions are golden brown.
5. Boil the white rice until almost done. The balance of the cooking time will take place in the oven inside of the meat mixture.
6. Thoroughly mix the meatloaf mix with the sautéed onions and the white rice
7. Add one can of tomato soup (without any water) to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
8. Take the mixture and place a small amount of it on the back edge of the cabbage leaf. The larger the leaf, the more meat should be used.
9. Roll the leaf with the mixture tucking in the sides until completely closed.
10. Place the rolled (stuffed) cabbage with the closed end face down into a baking pan. The pan should be deep enough so that they can be covered with a liquid mixture before going into the oven.
11. In a separate bowl, mix 3 cans of tomato soup; 3 tomato soup cans of water; and one large can of crushed tomatoes.
12. Pour this mixture over the stuffed cabbage in the roasting pan just covering the tops of each one.
13. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and put it in the oven for baking at 325 degrees for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Note: the prepared stuffed cabbage must be cooked one they have been rolled. Do not cook the next day.
14. The stuffed cabbage is done when you can cut it with a fork!
Servings6 to 8
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!