Middle Eastern Stuffed Acorn SquashCuisinart Original Recipe
Not only are the flavors rich and delicious,
but the varying textures in this dish standout at any dinner table."
2 acorn squashes (about 1¼ pounds each), halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 cup Israeli (pearl) couscous
1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2¼ cups chicken broth, low sodium
½ cup chopped dried apricots
¼ cup shelled pistachios, toasted
1. Preheat oven on Bake at 350°F with the rack in the lower position.
2. Line the baking tray with foil and put the squash halves, cut side up, on top. Brush the inside of each squash with ½ teaspoon of the oil and sprinkle each with 1⁄8 teaspoon of the salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon of the pepper. Bake until the flesh of the squash is just fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. While squash is baking, put the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a saucepan set over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallot and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the couscous, chickpeas, cumin, cinnamon and remaining salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute to toast the couscous.
4. Add the broth. Bring to a strong simmer and cook partially covered, stirring occasionally for about 18 to 20 minutes, until almost all the liquid is absorbed by the couscous and the filling has a creamy consistency. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the apricots and pistachios, and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Evenly divide the couscous mixture among the squash halves. Return squash to the oven and bake until just golden on top, about 10 to 12 minutes.
ServingsMakes 4 servings
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 476 (16% from fat) • carb. 88g • pro. 16g • fat 9g • sat. fat 1g
• chol. 0mg • sod. 497mg • calc.149mg • fiber 11g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Deluxe Convection Toaster Oven Broiler
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!