Chicken and WafflesCuisinart Original Recipe
This is a Southern staple that you can easily make for your family. The chicken is best when marinated overnight, but if you are in a hurry you can marinate it for a minimum of 3 hours."
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
8 thin chicken cutlets (about 1½ pounds)
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon paprika
oil for frying (such as vegetable, canola or grapeseed)
4 prepared full Savory Cheddar-Chive Waffles, kept warm
1. In a medium non-reactive bowl stir together the buttermilk, hot sauce, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken and coat well with buttermilk mixture.
2. Refrigerate overnight.
3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, papri- ka and remaining salt and pepper.
4. Preheat the Cuisinart compact deep fryer to 375°F.* While the oil is heating, line a baking pan with paper towels and insert a cooling rack inside the pan; reserve.
5. While the oil is heating, lightly coat each chicken piece evenly with the flour mixture, tapping away any excess.
6. Fry chicken in batches, about 3 minutes per side until nicely browned and cooked through. Transfer to prepared cooling rack.
7. Serve, two of the waffle wedges with one piece of fried chicken and maple syrup on the side.
*If you do not have a deep fryer, the chicken can easily be fried on the stovetop. In a large sauté pan, add oil to a depth of 1 inch and set the pan over medium-high heat. Using a deep-fat thermometer, heat oil to 375°F. Fry the chicken in batches, about 2 pieces at a time. Do not crowd the pot or the oil will cool down too much and not fry well. Fry, flipping once, until chicken is nicely browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to the prepared cooling rack.
ServingsMakes 8 servings
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 559 (53% from fat) • carb. 37g • pro. 29g • fat 33g
• sat. fat 6g • chol. 112mg • sod. 935mg
• calc. 179mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!