Chocolate Pots de CrèmeCuisinart Original Recipe
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 ounces semisweet chocolate (about 1/2 cup chocolate chips)
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Put the cream, milk and vanilla in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Put the chocolate and espresso powder if using, in a heatproof mixing bowl; reserve. Once cream/milk mixture just comes to a simmer, pour it over the chocolate. Let the chocolate sit for a few minutes, and then whisk together (you do not want to whisk when it is too hot, or the chocolate will be grainy).
2. Put the egg yolks, sugar and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Using either a hand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or by hand with a whisk, mix until very light and thick. Once combined, temper the yolks with the chocolate/cream mixture by pouring about half of the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Gently whisk until fully combined, and then add the remaining chocolate mixture . Do not over-whisk – you do not want the mixture to be frothy at this point. Dab the surface with paper towel to remove any foam.
3. If the mixture seems a bit grainy, pour through a fine mesh strainer set over a clean mixing bowl.
4. Divide mixture evenly among four individual (5 ounces) custard cups.
5. Put cups on the baking pan and cover each with foil. Put the pan in the oven with the rack in the lower rack position. Set to Bake Steam at 225°F for about 40 minutes. Once cooking time is complete, leave custards undisturbed for 10 minutes before removing from oven. Custards are done when they are just set (the centers will still move slightly when shaken).
6. Once cool, wrap each custard cup with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Custards are best served chilled.
ServingsMakes 4 servings
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 313 (59% from fat) • carb. 29g • pro. 4g
• fat 22g • sat. fat 12g • chol. 182mg • sod. 228mg •
calc. 77mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Combo Steam + Convection Oven
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!