Poached PearsCuisinart Original Recipe
Poached pears can be enjoyed simply with whipped cream or a rich vanilla ice cream."
2 cups white Zinfandel, or other sweet rosé wine
6 cups water
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped (or 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract)
1 two-inch piece orange peel, bitter white pith removed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
pinch kosher salt
4 firm pears; peeled, halved and cored
1. Put all of the ingredients, except the pears, into the cooking pot of the Multicooker.
2. Cover and set to Brown/Sauté at 375°F to bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, uncover and reduce temperature to 300°F and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes to reduce mixture slightly.
4. Add the pears, cover and switch unit to Slow Cook on High for 2 hours. When finished pears should be just tender. You should be able to pierce the fruit with the tip of a paring knife, getting little resistance. If overcooked, the pears will be mushy, if undercooked, they will be tough and grainy. All pears are different, so if you find that they need additional time, add another 30 minutes and check after every 10 minutes.
5. Once pears are properly poached, carefully remove with a slotted spoon and reserve on a platter.
6. If a serving sauce is desired, switch the unit to Brown/Sauté at 375°F for 30 minutes, uncovered to reduce liquid to a light syrup.
7. Serve pears warm or at room temperature, with some of the poaching syrup poured over them.
ServingsMakes 8 servings
Nutritional information per serving
(based on 8 servings):
Calories 101 (1% from fat) • carb. 16g • pro. 0g
• fat 0g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 0mg • sod. 24mg
• calc. 9mg • fiber 2g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!