Apple CakeCuisinart Original Recipe
A not-too-sweet treat for your next brunch table."
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh apple juice
1 cup apple pulp (from about 4 medium apples)
¾ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cardamom
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter,
cubed and at room temperature
¹∕³ cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¹∕8 teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and lightly flour a 9-inch baking pan.
2. Turn the Cuisinart® Compact Juice Extractor on and juice the apples.
3. Stir juice and measure out ¼ cup; reserve (save the remaining juice for another use).
4. Measure out 1 cup of the apple pulp, being sure to discard any seeds or stems; reserve.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Reserve.
6. Using a Cuisinart® Stand or Hand Mixer fitted with the mixing paddle/beaters, mix the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the pulp and mix until just combined. Add half of the juice and mix on low. Add half of the dry ingredients and mix until streaky. Repeat, finishing with the dry ingredients.
7. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan.
8. Combine all of the Crumb Topping ingredients into a small bowl and mix with your fingers until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Spread evenly over cake batter.
9. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
ServingsMakes 12 servings
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 235 (46% from fat) • carb. 29g • pro. 3g
• fat 12g • sat. fat 6g • chol. 0mg • sod. 3mg
• calc. 48mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Compact Juice Extractor