Old Fashioned Yellow Layer CakeCuisinart Original Recipe
This is the ultimate birthday cake. Just top with a rich chocolate frosting and some candles and you'll look for reasons to celebrate just so you can make it.
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small cubes,
plus more for the pan
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
²∕³ cup plain yogurt (you may use vanilla yogurt, but halve the amount of vanilla extract in the recipe if you choose to use it in place of the plain yogurt)
1. Preheat the toaster oven to 350°F on the Bake setting with the rack in position A.
2. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan, and then cut a circle out of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of the pan; reserve.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter. Using a hand mixer fitted with the beater attachments, mix until the butter is well incorporated into the dry ingredients, giving the mixture the look of wet sand. This will take 1 to 2 minutes.
4. In a small bowl or large liquid measuring cup, mix the remaining wet ingredients together. Gradually add the wet mixture to the dry/butter mixture and beat until combined – be sure to not over-mix.
5. Transfer the thick batter to the prepared cake pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out just clean.
6. Let pan rest on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan, but let it cool completely before frosting.
Note: The cake can be used as one thick layer, but it is most impressive when halved. To do so, use a serrated knife and evenly and carefully slice in half, horizontally, through the center.
ServingsMakes one 9-inch double layer cake (about 12 servings)
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 235 (49% from fat) • carb. 27g • pro. 3g • fat 13g
sat. fat 8g • chol. 101mg • sod. 152mg • calc. 48mg • fiber 0g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!