Olive Oil-Thyme GelatoCuisinart Original Recipe
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups whole milk, divided
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch sea or kosher salt
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon liquid pectin
1. In a medium saucepan, combine cream, 2 cups of the milk, and the thyme. Set over medium/medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and allow thyme to steep in the cream/milk mixture for about 30 minutes. After steeping, remove and discard thyme and then return to the heat and bring back to a simmer.
2. While cream/milk mixture is re-heating, put the remaining milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt into a small-medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
3. Once milk/cream mixture comes to its second simmer, add the milk/sugar mixture and stir until fully combined. While still set over medium/medium-low heat, continuously stir until mixture boils and thickens to where it can coat the back of a spoon (this will take about 15 minutes, depending on the stove being used).
4. Remove pan from heat, stir in pectin, strain and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
5. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle., of the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The gelato will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
*This can also be frozen in a regular ice cream maker, according to the model's instructions. It will not have the exact texture and density as if made in the gelato maker, but it will still be delicious.
ServingsMakes about 4½ cups (nine ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 394 (69% from fat) • carb. 29g • pro. 3g • fat 31g • sat. fat 10g • chol. 48mg • sod. 68mg • calc. 118mg • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Cool Creations™ Ice Cream Maker
Ice Cream And Gelato Maker
Frozen Yogurt – Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker
Pure Indulgence™ 2 Qt. Frozen Yogurt-Sorbet & Ice Cream Maker
Mix It In™ Soft Serve Ice Cream Maker
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!