Lemon GelatoCuisinart Original Recipe
The perfect amount of sweet and tart for this classic gelato flavor.
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups whole milk, divided
6 lemons, zest removed (about ½ cup of lemon zest), juiced with juice reserved
1¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon liquid pectin
1. In a medium saucepan, combine cream and 1 cup of the milk. Set over medium/medium-low heat and bring to a simmer.
2. While cream/milk mixture is heating, put the remaining milk, lemon zest, sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla into a small-medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
3. Once milk/cream mixture comes to a simmer, add the milk/sugar mixture and stir until fully combined. While still set over medium/medium-low heat, continuously stir until mixture boils and thickens to where it can coat the back of a spoon (this will take about 15 minutes, depending on the stove being used).
4. Remove pan from heat, stir in pectin, strain and cool to room temperature. Stir in the lemon juice, cover and refrigerate a minimum of at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
5. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl, fitted with the gelato paddle, of the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The gelato will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
*This can also be frozen in a regular ice cream maker, according to the model's instructions. It will not have the exact texture and density as if made in the gelato maker, but it will still be delicious.
ServingsMakes about 4 cups (eight ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information serving: (based on ½ cup)
Calories 281 (40% from fat) • Carb. 40 g • Pro 3g • Fat 13g • Sat fat 8g
• Chol 50 mg • Sod. 43 mg • Fiber 1g • Calc. 105mg
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Ice Cream And Gelato Maker
Frozen Yogurt – Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker
Pure Indulgence™ 2 Qt. Frozen Yogurt-Sorbet & Ice Cream Maker
Mix It In™ Soft Serve Ice Cream Maker