Chocolate-Hazelnut GelatoCuisinart Original Recipe
1¾ cups heavy cream
2¼ cups whole milk, divided
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch sea or kosher salt
1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread, such as Nutella®
½ to 1 cup chopped hazelnuts (or you may use the same amount of chopped Baci candies)
1. In a medium saucepan, combine cream and 1½ cups of the milk. Set over medium/medium-low heat and bring to a simmer.
2. While cream/milk mixture is heating, put the remaining milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt into a small-medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
3. Once milk/cream mixture comes to a simmer, add the milk/sugar mixture and stir until fully combined. Slowly whisk in the chocolate-hazelnut spread. While still set over medium/medium-low heat, continuously stir until mixture boils and thickens to where it can coat the back of a spoon (this will take about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the stove being used).
4. Remove pan from heat, strain and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
5. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the gelato paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 30 minutes. About 5 minutes before the mixture has finished, add the chopped hazlenuts/candies through the mix-in opening. The gelato will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
*This can also be frozen in a regular ice cream maker, according to the model's instructions. It will not have the exact texture and density as if made in the gelato maker, but it will still be delicious.
ServingsMakes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 403 (65% from fat) • carb. 30g • pro. 5g • fat 30g • sat. fat 13g
• chol. 65mg • sod. 71mg • calc. 136mg • fiber 3g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Ice Cream And Gelato Maker
Frozen Yogurt – Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker
Pure Indulgence™ 2 Qt. Frozen Yogurt-Sorbet & Ice Cream Maker
Mix It In™ Soft Serve Ice Cream Maker
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!