Basic Vanilla GelatoCuisinart Original Recipe
Drizzle in melted chocolate for a decadent stracciatela gelato.
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups whole milk, divided
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch sea or kosher salt
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon liquid pectin
1. In a medium saucepan, combine cream and 2 cups of the milk.Set over medium/medium-low heat and bring to a simmer.
2. While cream/milk mixture is heating, put the remaining milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla into a small-medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
3. Once milk/cream mixture comes to a simmer, add the milk/sugar mixture and stir until fully combined. While still set over medium/medium-low heat, continuously stir until mixture boils and thickens to where it can coat the back of a spoon (this will take about 15 minutes, depending on the stove being used).
4. Remove pan from heat, stir in pectin, strain and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
5. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the gelato paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The gelato will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
*This can also be frozen in a regular ice cream maker, according to the model's instructions. It will not have the exact texture and density as if made in the gelato maker, but it will still be delicious.
ServingsMakes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 211 (46% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 3g • fat 11g • sat. fat 7g
• chol. 43mg • sod. 61mg • calc. 106mg • fiber 0g