Dairy-Free Vanilla Custard Ice CreamCuisinart Original Recipe
Another version of a dairy-free vanilla ice cream, but this version is a traditional cooked custard version, which makes it a bit creamier. If you are not allergic or intolerant to eggs, this is a great one to try.
3 cups dairy-free milk (soy, hemp, rice, almond, etc.)
1 cup granulated sugar
pinch sea or kosher salt
1 to 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
5 large egg yolks
1. In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, add the milk, half of the sugar, salt and the vanilla. Whisk to combine and bring the mixture just to a boil.
2. While the milk mixture is heating, combine the yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed or whisk, beat until mixture is pale and thick.
3. Once the milk mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about ¹∕³ of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another ¹∕³ of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. This mixture must NOT boil or the yolks will overcook. The process should only take a few minutes.
4. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and bring to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
5. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
ServingsMakes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving (using soy milk, based on ½ cup):
Calories 142 (19% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 3g • fat 3g • sat. fat 1g
• chol. 105mg • sod. 44mg • calc. 23mg • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Ice Cream And Gelato Maker