Vanilla Bean Ice CreamCuisinart Original Recipe
For the true vanilla lover. Be sure to use fresh vanilla beans to capture the intense flavor.
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
pinch sea or kosher salt
1 whole vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
5 large egg yolks
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, whisk together the milk, cream, half of the sugar, salt and the scraped vanilla bean (including the pod). Bring the mixture just to a boil.
2. While the milk/cream mixture is heating, combine the yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed or whisk, beat until mixture is pale and thick.
3. Once the milk/cream mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about ¹∕³ of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another ¹∕³ of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. This mixture must NOT boil or the yolks will overcook – the process should only take a few minutes.
4. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer (discard the vanilla pod) and bring to room temperature. Stir in the vanilla. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
5. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
ServingsMakes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 301 (63% from fat) • carb. 24g • pro. 4g • fat 21g • sat. fat 13g
• chol. 177mg • sod. 62mg • calc. 102mg • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Ice Cream And Gelato Maker
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!