Caramel PopcornCuisinart Original Recipe
Delicious caramel-coated popcorn anytime!
2/3 cup granulated sugar
water (enough to just cover the sugar)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup popping kernels
2 tablespoons heavy cream
pinch sea salt
1. Put the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and even out so it is a level layer. Add enough water just to cover the sugar. Place over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Once the caramel mixture starts to boil, pour the vegetable oil onto the heating plate with the measured popcorn kernels.
3. Place the bowl on the popping plate and switch the slide selector to Pop.
4. Once the unit has been turned on, watch the caramel mixture on the stove closely. Using a candy thermometer, monitor the temperature of the caramel. Once it starts to turn golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes after it has come to a slight boil the temperature should be no more than 340°F. Very carefully whisk in the heavy cream and leave over very low heat to keep warm until popcorn is ready. The temperature at this point should read about 240°F.
5. Once the last kernel has popped, move the slide selector from Pop to Mix. Drizzle the caramel sauce through the flavor dispenser. Allow to mix for about 30 to 45 seconds so it completely coats the popcorn.
6. Place lid on popper and invert. Serve immediately.
ServingsMakes about 10 to 12 cups
Nutritional information per 1-cup serving:
Calories 178 (51% from fat) • carb. 21g • pro. 3g
• fat 11g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 12mg • sod. 25mg
• calc. 28mg • fiber 1g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!