Lemon Pudding CakesCuisinart Original Recipe
This dessert magically becomes two layers when baked, pudding topped with a sponge cake."
zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter,
¹∕³ cup fresh lemon juice
3 large egg yolks
1½ cups whole milk
4 large egg whites
¹∕8 teaspoon salt
¹∕³ teaspoon cream of tartar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat eight 6-ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
2. Put the zest, ¼ cup of the sugar and the butter in a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix on low speed until blended. Add remaining sugar, lemon juice, egg yolks and milk. Mix on low speed until combined, about 30 to 40 seconds. The mixture may look curdled – that is okay.
3. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar with clean whisk attachment until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture followed by the flour.
4. Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins in a shallow pan and add boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove carefully from the hot water bath and place on a rack to cool.
5. These cakes may be served warm or cold, either in the ramekins or loosen the edge of each cake with a thin bladed knife, inverting and serving on a dessert plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for garnish.
ServingsMakes 8 Servings
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 207 (33% from fat) • carb. 30g • pro. 5g
fat 8g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 98mg • sod. 103mg
calc. 67mg • vit. C 1mg (2% DV) • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Pulp Control Citrus Juicer
Power Advantage™ 5-Speed Hand Mixer
Power Advantage™ 7-Speed Hand Mixer
Power Advantage® PLUS 9-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!