Blackberry Malbec CheesecakeUser Submitted Recipe
Cheesecake & Deep Red Malbec Wine, A Delectable Pair
2 C Butter Cake Mix (Yellow Cake may be substituted)
Pinch (1/8 tsp) Sea Salt
1 tsp Orange Zest
1 tsp Lemon or Lime Zest
3 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
Cream Cheese Filling
32 oz (4 bricks) Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
2 Tbs Cake Flour
1 fl oz Heavy Cream
16 fl oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 ea Eggs, slightly beaten
Blackberry Gelée Topping
5 fl oz Water
1/3 C Granulated Sugar
2 Tbs Lemon Juice, Real Lemon® Brand Reconstituted Lemon Juice
7 oz Blackberries, frozen, thawed, in own juice
2 Tbs Water, cold
1 pkt Unflavored Gelatin
3 fl oz Malbec Wine
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
10 ea Blackberries, medium-large, fresh
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Prepare spring-form pan with parchment paper and non-stick spray.
3. Make crust: Place cake mix in medium bowl, stir in salt, and zests. Cut in melted butter a little at time to form coarse crumbs.
4. Sprinkle crumbs into bottom of 10" spring-form pan being sure to make level.
5. Make filling: Beat softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
6. Beat in cake flour then mix in heavy cream until smooth.
7. Gently beat in sweetened condensed milk to completely mix in. DO NOT OVERMIX.
8. Stir in beaten eggs until smooth but do not over mix.
9. Pour in prepared spring-form pan and bake until cake is set, 45 minutes to 55 minutes. Cake should be firm but not over baked or too browned on top.
10. Make blackberry gelée: Combine 5 ounces of water, 1/3 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and thawed berries in their own juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gently cook until mixture thickens, 10 – 15 minutes; mash berry mixture with a potato masher occasionally to resemble a puree.
11. Meanwhile, place 2 tablespoons of cold water into a clean medium bowl. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over cold water, and set aside.
12. When berries have reduced to 8 ounces, strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl, pressing solids into sides of sieve with a spatula. Scrape puree from bottom of sieve, and discard solids left in sieve.
13. Return puree to saucepan; add Malbec wine (take saucepan off the stove top to add wine) and return saucepan to medium heat. Reduce to 8 fluid ounces.
14. Taste and adjust sweetness by adding up to 1/4 cup of sugar; stir to dissolve on heat. Chill slightly in freezer or refrigerator, about 2 - 5 minutes, until just warm.
15. Slice 10 blackberries of the same size in half lengthwise; reserve.
16. Stir warm puree into gelatin in bowl.
17. Roll sliced berries in gelatin puree then remove to another bowl.
18. Pour balance of puree over cooled cheesecake in the spring-form pan; place sliced berries around perimeter of cake, one for each slice (20). Optional: Place 2 more sliced halves in center of cheesecake.
19. Chill cheesecake in refrigerator, covered, until ready to serve.
20. Remove spring form pan side when ready to store or serve.
Servings10 - 18 slices
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!