Whole Wheat and Flax Blueberry MuffinsUser Submitted Recipe
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
(use 1 cup of each for a denser muffin)
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup wheat germ
¼ cup ground flax seed (aka flax meal)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup shredded coconut (optional)
1 ¼ buttermilk (use evaporated milk or regular milk as a substitute)
1 large egg
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sugar or hearty ¾ cup honey
1 pint fresh blueberries (use 2 cups for less berries per muffin)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray, or use paper liners.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, flax and wheat germ.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy, then gently stir in the blueberries.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.
6. Gently fold together with a rubber spatula until the batter is moist yet remains slightly lumpy.
7. Pour into muffin cups and bake 30 to 35 minutes.