PfeffernuesseUser Submitted Recipe
4 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp Anise seed
1 tsp baking soda
4 oz candied orange peel (coarsely ground)
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz Citron (coarsely ground)
1 Tbl Cinnamon
2 Tbl butter
1 tsp ground cloves
2 1/2 Cup very fine sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
5 egg yolks unbeaten
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 grated lemon peel
1 Tbl ground cardamom
5 egg whites (beaten stiffly)
Make several days and refrigerate prior to baking
1. Sift flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, pepper. Add cardamom, anise seeds orange peel and citron. Toss all ingredients well to thoroughly coat everything with flour.
2. In a large bowl, with mixer set at high speed mix butter with granulated sugar, egg yolks, and lemon peel until well blended. With spoon blend in flour mixture & fold egg whites. Refrigerate for an hour.
3. With floured hands shape dough into small balls slightly smaller than golf balls.
4. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and let stand uncovered at least 12 hours at room temperature.
5. At baking time:
a. Set oven to 350 degrees
b. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until done
c. Cool on wire racks
6. Cookies will be very hard and crunchy, enjoy
In Memory of my Mother in Law Josephine Sesslin
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!