Almond SlugsUser Submitted Recipe
Almond butter cookies shaped like everyones favorite gastropod!
1 1/2 cups sliced blanched almonds
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Sifted powdered sugar
1. Grind the almonds using a food processor.
2. Using an electric mixer on medium speed beat the butter until fluffy. Next, gradually add the sugar to the butter while beating it. Add the ground almonds and the vanilla and almond extract beating at a low speed until just blended.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour and then add it gradually to the butter mixture.
4. Divide the dough into two portions and wrap in plastic wrap. Put in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
5.When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Take teaspoon sized pieces of dough and roll into a oblong-slug like shape.
6. Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased baking sheets and bake for about 17 minutes.
7. Cool for 2 minutes on the sheets, then carefully roll the cookies in the powdered sugar and then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
8. Once cooled, melt the chocolate chips and using a pastry bag pipe eyes and other features onto the cookies.