Autumn Apple MuffinsUser Submitted Recipe
A great cinnamon apple muffin
• Nonstick spray
• 1 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spoon into measuring cup and level top)
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon plus ½ tsp.
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1 ¼ cups applesauce
• 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
• 1 large egg
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• juice of 2 lemons, divided
• 1 large red delicious apple peeled and cored, finely diced
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 F. Lightly spray twelve 2-3/4 x 1-1/2-inch nonstick muffin cups with oil.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix apples pieces with lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of sugar and ½ tsp. of cinnamon.
4. In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set at high speed, beat the applesauce, sugar, egg, oil, and lemon juice and zest until frothy, about 2 minutes. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce mixture. Using a spoon, mix just until moistened (there should be a few traces of flour remaining).
5. Gently fold in the apple pieces until the flour is incorporated. Do not over mix. Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Bake until the tops spring back when pressed gently in the center, about 20 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool in the pan on a wire cake rack for 10 minutes before removing from the cups. Serve warm or cool completely on the rack.
Calories From Fat 23 Protein 2 Total Fat 2 Carbohydrates 26 Calories 132 Dietary Fiber 1 Calcium 25 Sodium 74 Vitamin A 13
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!