Caramel Apple PieUser Submitted Recipe
Crust Pie crust
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ stick (12 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
4 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
½ teaspoon salt
4 to 8 tablespoons ice water
6 cups apples (Granny Smith)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3T brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup toffee pieces
In a bowl with a pastry blender or in a food processor blend or pulse together flour, butter, shortening, and salt until mixture resembles meal. Add 2 tablespoons ice water and toss or pulse until water is incorporated. If necessary add enough of remaining ice water to form a dough and form dough into 2 disks. Lightly dust dough with flour and chill, wrapped in wax paper, 1 hour. Roll one of the disks large enough to fit a 9 in deep dish pie plate (about 13 inch round).
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
1. Roll crust and place in pie plate. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
2. Peel, core, and slice apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
3. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix. Add vanilla and cream.
4. Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook approximately 2 minutes, to slightly melt the brown sugar. Let cool slightly. Turn into pie shell.
5. Combine the flour and sugar. Mix in butter with fork until coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pie. Sprinkle toffee pieces on top. Add top crust and vent top. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Cover with foil. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. . Reduce heat to 350 degrees F, remove foil and bake 45 minutes longer