Carrot & Pineapple Whole-Grain Muffins with a Maple Cream Cheese IcingUser Submitted Recipe
COOKS NOTES: Use a food processor to grate the carrots; pulse a few times just until coarsely grated. Measure the amount needed for the recipe.
This recipe will also make 24 regular sized muffins."
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup golden flaxmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots, about 4 carrots
8 ounces crushed pineapple, 1 can, undrained
4 ounces applesauce
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon butter
2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioner's sugar, or more if needed
1. MAKE THE MUFFIN BATTER: Set the oven rack to middle lower. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 Jumbo muffin cups with foil liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 9 ingredients.
3. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Fold in the grated carrots, crushed pineapple and applesauce.
4. Add the flour mixture to the carrot mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in the chopped pecans.
5 Fill each muffin cup almost to the top. Bake for 25-35 (25) minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan 10 minutes and then remove to a rack to cool before icing.
6. MAKE THE ICING: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the butter, cream cheese, maple syrup and vanilla extract. until smooth. Add the confectioner's sugar and whisk until smooth and just starting to bubble. Add more confectioner's sugar if too thin for drizzling. With a small whisk, drizzle immediately over each cooled muffin in back and forth motions. Let the icing harden before serving. Store iced muffins in the refrigerator
12 Jumbo muffins: 25 minutes
24 Regular muffins: 17 minutes