Peanut Butter Marbled Rich and Chewy BrowniesUser Submitted Recipe
Candied Peanut Topping (optional):
1/4 to 3/4 cup peanuts, whole roasted (salted or unslated)
maple syrup or any sugar (plus water if dry), enough to coat
1/2 cup peanut butter, any kind
1 tablespoon molasses
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chips or chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup vegan margarine, cut into squares
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1-1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup tofu, any kind
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Candied Peanut Topping
If using the optional peanuts and syrup/sugar, see bottom and make this topping first.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat.
2. Toss peanuts with enough maple syrup to coat in a small bowl. If using dry sugar, add a little water to moisten and coat the peanuts. You need a moist sugar to get a nice crunchy caramelization on the nuts.
3. Spread the nuts on the baking sheet in 1 layer and bake until crunchy and candy-like, up to 20 minutes. Cool.
4. Chop candied peanuts and sprinkle evenly on prepared peanut butter brownie batter and proceed with baking the brownies.
1. Generously grease an 8" square baking pan with vegetable oil. In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, molasses, and almond extract and set aside.
2. Melt semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolates and vegan margarine in a double boiler or microwave on 50% power, stirring often. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth.
3. Puree the sugar, tofu, and vanilla together in a medium sized bowl (or add to after the fact depending on your method of puree!). Whisk in the melted chocolate / butter / cocoa mixture.
4. In a small bowl whisk together the all-purpose and wheat flours and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly to all corners.
5. Dollop the peanut butter mixture all over the brownie batter. Using a butter knife, drag the peanut butter through the batter up and down, rotate the pan and repeat. Or just swirl however you like. Bake on the middle rack for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the brownies cool for about 2 hours in the pan. Now you can slice and serve. To get the 64 small squares, cut the brownies into 1" squares.
Servings64 small brownies