Passion Fruit Ice CreamUser Submitted Recipe
6 fl oz Whole Milk
1 pint Heavy Cream
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp, 2/3 C Granulated Sugar, separated
6 Egg Yolks
4 fl oz. Passion Fruit Pulp (find in Latin or Caribbean markets)
Container for Ice Cream Storage Electric Ice Cream Maker (Cuisinart 1½-Quart Frozen Yogurt/Ice Cream Maker used)
Fine Mesh Sieve/Strainer Ladle
Measuring Cup, dry measure Measuring Cup, liquid measure
Measuring Spoons Metal Mixing Bowls
Paper Towels or Towel, as needed Rubber Spatula
1. Combine milk, heavy cream, vanilla, and two tablespoons of sugar in a saucepan. Stir with wooden spoon on medium heat to dissolve sugar.
2. Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil being sure to not let it overflow. Remove from heat when it comes to a boil.
3. In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks and 2/3 cup of sugar until smooth and pale yellow, at least 1 full minute.
4. Place a damp paper towel or other damp towel under bowl to keep it in place while whisking. Temper eggs with one-third cream mixture. (To Temper: Vigorously whisk egg mixture while using a ladle to slowly pour hot mixture in a little at a time, being sure NOT to “scramble” the egg mixture.) After about one-third has been whisked in, pour warmed egg mixture back into cream mixture in saucepan.
5. Prepare an ice bath (metal bowl filled one-third to one-half with ice; pour in cold water just to cover ice) and put in freezer until needed.
6. Return saucepan to medium heat, stirring constantly until nappe (thick enough to just coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat when temperature reaches 180°F to 182°F, usually 15 minutes or more depending on if your stove is electric or gas.
7. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl set in ice bath. Stir with spatula until the ice cream is cooled completely.
8. Turn on ice cream machine and pour in ice cream base. Let churn about 20 – 25 minutes, until ice cream begins to form a consistency like slush.
9. Pour the passion fruit pulp into the churning ice cream. Churn until well incorporated, another 5 minutes.
10. Transfer to cold container and freeze 3 - 4 hours or overnight, until firm.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!