Best Ever Baklava!!!User Submitted Recipe
1 package Phyllo Dough (16 oz)
1 Pound Finely Chopped Pistachio Nuts (or any nut you like)
1 Cup Butter
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Cup Water
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Cup Honey
If you have not already prepared your nuts (Shelled and Finely chopped) you will want to do so before you get started. This will make things go much quicker.
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
2. Melt butter in a pan. *Keep a pastry brush next to it, you will need it.
3. Combine nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Unroll Phyllo dough, cut in half, and cover with a dampened cloth (this keeps the dough from drying out as you work).
5. Place two sheets in the pre-butterd pan, and thouroughly butter the dough. Repeat until you have 8 sheets of dough layered.
6. Sprinkle 2-5 tablespoons of nut mixture (to your liking) on top.
7. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, and nuts, and continue layering as such until you get close to the top of your pan. Your top layer be about 6-8 sheets.
8. Take a sharp knife and cut Baklava into diamond squares all the way to the bottom (but do not cut through the bottom layers).
*To make the Diamond shape, start by cutting four diagonal lines and then cut four rows the other way.
9. Bake for about 50 minutes until Baklava is golden and crispy.
10. While Baklava is cooking make the sauce by boiling the water and sugar until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simer for 20 minutes.
11. Remove Baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it, and let cool. I find it easiest to place the sauce in the honey container it comes in, and squeeze it over the Baklava.
Serve them in paper cupcakes holder, and let your friends and family "ooh & aah" over your dessert.