Apple Carrot CupcakesUser Submitted Recipe
2 - Cups all purpose Flour
1- Cup sugar, or Splenda
2 – tsps. Baking Soda
1-1/4 – tsps. Baking Powder
2 - tsps. Cinnamon
1/4 – tsps. ground Cloves
1/2 – tsp. ground Nutmeg
2 – tsps. Sweetened Cocoa Powder
1/8 – tsp. freshly ground Black Pepper
1/4 – tsp. Salt
1 - cup Canola oil, or grapeseed oil
4 - large Eggs, lightly beaten, room temp.
1-1/2 - cups packed coarsely grated Carrots…about 4 – medium.
1-1/2 - cups packed coarsely deskined grated tart Apples, such as Granny Smith, (about 3 to 4medium) any type of apple will work.
1 - Cup coarsely chopped Pecans or Walnuts or both.
If you like Raisins…add 1/2 – Cup
Directions: Can be frozen.
1. Preheat oven to 350° and place rack in the center of the oven.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices, cocoa, pepper, and salt.
Whisk to combine, and then stir in oil and eggs. Stir in carrots, apples, and pecans & raisins. 3. Set aluminum or paper cupcake holders in muffin tins. Spoon the batter into the cupcake paper cups, three-quarters of the way to the top. Bake approximately 20 - minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting. Makes 24 to 28 cupcakes.
Frosting ~ Ingredients: There good without frosting. Cream Cheese Frosting…
1/2 - cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 - oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature.
2 to 3 cups of powdered sugar.
1 - teaspoon of vanilla extract.
1. With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness.
3. Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake.
*Adding a teaspoon of Chinese Five Spice is always great for exotic chocolate cakes.
*Adding freshly ground ginger helps spice up a carrot cake.
*Freshly ground chai spice or even the contents of a bag of earl grey tea are heady and aromatic.
*The scrapings from a vanilla bean can be very sweet and heavenly for red velvet or dark chocolate cakes.
*Freshly grated or dried, flaked coconut mixed in makes it perfect for a coconut cake.