Makeda's Blue Ribbon Caramel Apple PieUser Submitted Recipe
2 c All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 c butter, cold and diced
1/4 c vegetable shortening
1/4 c sugar
8 tbsp ice water
3 c Granny smith apples, thinly sliced
2 c Rome apples, thinly sliced
2 c Golden delicious apples, thinly sliced
2tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 c packed brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, diced
1 c granulated sugar
1/4 c water
3 tbsp butter
1/4 c milk
2 tbsp water
sugar for sanding
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, salt and sugar together.
2. Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse meal with pea size pieces of fat in it.
3. Add ice water two tablespoons at a time to the flour mixture until mixture becomes a ball.
4. Turn out dough onto a flour surface and form into a disc, making sure not to over work the dough.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a half hour to rest.
1. In a large mixing bowl, add all three apples, lemon juice to keep apples from turning brown, sugars, cinnamon, salt, and flour.
2. Toss together making sure that apples are mixed thoroughly.
1. In a medium sized heavy saucepan, add sugar and water and heat over medium high heat.
2. Keep a watchful eye over the heating sugar mixture, as carmels tend to burn very quickly. As it heats and starts to turn light brown, swirl the pan to mix. Never stir the caramel.
3. Once the caramel is a beautiful amber color, add the butter and stir with a wooden spoon.
4. After the butter is fully incorporated, add the milk and stir until fully mixed. The mixture will bubble up quite a bit, so be careful.
Preheat your oven to 375 F
1. Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut in half
2. Form both halves into a disc and working with one disc at a time, roll out on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.
3. Roll crust onto rolling pin to transport to a 9 inch pie pan and place crust into pan.
4. Making sure not to stretch the dough too much, make sure that the crust is fully in the bottom of the pan
5. Pour apples into pie and smooth off the top of the mixture.
6. Dot the top of the apples with the two tablespoons of butter from the filling mixture ingredients
7. Pour the caramel mixture over the apples making sure to pour over it evenly.
8. Top the pie with the remaining pie crust. Join the edges together and flute the edges.
9. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg and 2 tablespoons of water
10. Brush top of pie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
11. Cut slits in pie to vent and bake with edges covered in foil for 45 minutes. Remove foil and then bake for another 45 minutes or until filling bubbles and crust is golden brown.
12. Remove and transfer to wire rack to cool.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!