Strawberry ShortcakeUser Submitted Recipe
For the cake:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup soft flour
1 tablespoon butter (unsalted works best)
For the frosting/filling:
1 pound fresh strawberries
3/4 cup whipped cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 320°F (approx. 160 degrees Celsius.)
2. Cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit and line the cake pan and match the finished cake.
3. Microwave the butter for about a minute, or until melted.
4. Beat the eggs until well mixed, then add sugar until it all melts together.
5. Fill a larger bowl about half way with warm water (about 30 degrees C, 86 degrees F) and place the bowl from step 4 inside. Use a mixer to whip the mixture further.
6. Sift the flour into the bowl from step 5. After stirring, add the butter from step 3.
7. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Tap to remove any excess air.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
TIP: The temperature of your oven depends on the make. If your cake is still raw in the middle after baking, then try lowing the temperature and allowing it to bake longer.
9. Put sugar into the whipped cream, and place the bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice water and use a whisk to fluff and whip.
10. Wash the strawberries and remove the stems. Halve a majority of the strawberries, but leave at least five whole for the topping.
11. Cut the sponge cake in half and spread whipped cream on the bottom half. Top with halved strawberries and finish off with another layer of whipped cream.
12. Place the top layer of the cake onto the bottom layer and dress the cake with the remaining whipped cream and strawberries. Be sure to spread the cream evenly over the top and sides.
13. Cut, serve, and enjoy!!